Mold: The Final Stretch

Loops, Mold

I am relieved to say that Mold has picture lock, and is in the process of being scored by composer Reklaklislaw. With some luck, it should be ready for inital viewings in about a month.

What took so long? Coming in at only about 6 minutes, Mold often had to take a back seat to a busy year of client work.

That isn’t to say that I haven’t spent  hundreds of hours working on it, and learned many new things along the way.

Mold was first conceived in the Fall of 2009. It was written and storyboarded in the Spring of 2010, and was filmed in two days in August and September in 2010. Because of two very involved projects, editing didn’t really being until March 2011.

The shooting location (a burned down abandoned textile factory in central NY), while providing a pre-designed and immersive set, also created some unique challenges and limitations that lead to the need for a longer post-production period.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to having something to show and to get feedback on soon!


Feed Promo


With Mold finally in the last stretch of post-production (sidetracked for a few months by a few more involved gigs), I’ve begun work on the second film in the Loops series, called Feed. A couple weeks ago, I took some promo images for the film with the lead role (and only role) Bianca Hoffman. This was a chance to get a sense for how the location lights and photographs.

It was difficult to choose an image as there were a couple candidates that I liked, but I ended up with this one, which is a hybrid of the best elements from my two favorite images from the shoot.

I’m definitely not a graphic designer though–any suggestions from my more layout and typeface inclined friends on the text?

At the moment, I’m considering launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for the rental costs and to pay the crew. This promo image, and probably a trailer from Mold would serve as materials to illustrate the idea.

MIT CTL Future Newcasts


As Cinematographer, Editor and additional Compositor I spent the last few months of 2010 working on this interesting project for MIT.

They are now finally viewable online.

These videos were produced to represent possible socio-economic scenarios for the year 2037. Here’s the official explanation:

This video is one of four fictional newscasts to be aired on 2 November 2037. They are all part of the Future Freight Flows project run at MIT’s Center for Transportation and Logistics (CTL) for the National Academies. Four separate future scenarios were developed over the course of a year through a series of focused expert panel sessions, practitioner acid testing, and industry wide surveys. The key driving forces and critical uncertainties were identified and formed the basis of the underlying scenarios. While originally designed to be used for freight transportation planning, they can be employed for a wide variety of different planning purposes. To find out more, visit FutureFreightFlows at MITCTL or send email to future[at]mit[dot]edu.

It was a pleasure and great experience working with Director Luis Blackaller, and production team including Andrea Di CoccoAudubon DoughertyAmy Strong, Brian Misiewicz, and many others.

Health Innovation @ MIT Media Lab


I just finished the larger portion of the project that’s been keeping me busy the last 2 months. GlaxoSmithKline sponsored a series of videos to be produced for the MIT Media Lab’s Health Innovation 2011 Activity. For the New Media Medicine portion of the project, we created 11 demo videos for different project prototypes in the field of Health and Wellness. This was complimented with this video to introduce viewers to the activity itself:

A big thanks goes to John Moore MD for spearheading this exciting activity.

You can learn more about it here :


Previs vs. Vis

Loops, Mold

I don’t expect to be blogging much, but I figured I could use this space to give out some updates on the process of my current personal project “Loops”.

This is a little chart I made that matches my storyboard frames to the frames that were shot for the first in the series “Mold”. Making it was a fun little exercise to check the calibration of my previsualization to visualization.